Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nickname: What's the big deal?

Nickname can be defined as an additional or substitute name given to a person, place, or thing; or a familiar, often shorter, form of a proper name. Everyone has nicknames - usually descriptive and given in fun, affection, or derision, - that we like, we don't like and even some that we didn't aware of.

Me myself have a bunch of nicknames -
most of it I got from my friends during high school era. In my nickname lists there are: Flood (cause that teacher thought my hometown is the place where flood usually occurs), Underground (i joined the school singing competition that cause the evil counselor to never look at me the same again), Sis (as I was a sporting + stern senior at school. Hey, I'm the Vice Head Prefect of the school. whaddaya expect?), Bibik aka maid (my role in our mini hostel talent competition - my crush started with all of this, it rubbed off to others but he ended up being the only one calling me that till school ends), Tiger (I played the mascot of my sport's team, we won the first place that year!) and many more which I can't even remember them all. Of course as you can see, most of the nicknames are harmless and thanks to them, the memories of the good old days will be forever etched in my mind.

As the good names bring good memories, the bad ones carries the not so good ones. I don't really remember any bad nicknames that carries a bad memory with it. But I do have one nickname which has a bad history behind it.Best friend. You might be wondering why that title, which represents the strong friendship between two individuals could bring a bad memory of my life. I was known as this girl best friend, although the reality was I wasn't treated like a best friend by her.

That nickname thought me how it felt like to be tossed around like an old rag. I was treated like a royalty whenever I was needed. When I'm not, I became the 'bad influence that my mum strongly advice to get away from'. That person was offered to a new school. A year later, she came back for a visit and asked to meet me. I act indifferently, maybe a bit colder than what I used to act around her. I was shocked when she hugged me the moment we made eye contact that afternoon. She even cried! I stood there like a log, listening to her "I'm sorry for all the stuff I'd done. I got a taste of my own medicine at my new school. Everyone don't want to be friend with me. During those times, I remembered you". I don't know how to respond to that. Slowly, I reached up and stroke her back. Okay, wrong move - she started wailing.

When she finally stopped crying, she told her everything about her new school. The bad seniors, the only friend she had - which is a guy - that was so sweet and protective and always there for her. Well, at least you didn't feel my pain. She gave me her contact number, and promised me that she'll keep in touch in the future. What a lie. Whenever I called, she didn't answer. Whenever I gave her a message, it was left without reply. I never tried to keep in touch with her later on after that.


Thanks guys, you've made my day.

Now, moving on to some weird names given by outsiders to me. As some of you might know, I was known as my dad's young wife. Well, the list is longer as I was also the 'happy, cheerful wife' of my only elder brother, the cool girlfriend who-rode-a-bike of my lil brother, and recently added to the list: my youngest brother aunt. I don't understand why I was the wife for my dad and my elder brother at the same time. That's incest!

I also have some nicknames given by my net family, mostly used was 'unnie' (sister in korean). My favorite are 'mie-chan' and 'little mie'. I do have some real life friend who call me mie-chan (only 3 person - yes, one of them is you Kei). Those who are given privilege of calling me by mie-chan should feel special as I only allowed them who are special to me to call me that!

8 comments:

  1. -shock-.. mne tau aq bce entry ko nie.. lala.. xD

    aq tau lagi sowng sapa... "BFF" ko an ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooaa!..aku pun terkejut bila dia kata ko fara.haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @fara eh? syape la?? *wink wink* XD

    @azza kekekeke rilek la~ blutut aku still okay kot..xmcm org tu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aku rasa dgn korang je kot aku guna perkataan 'blutut' ni. kalo dgn orang lain aku start ckp blutut sorg pun tak paham apa yg aku nk sampaikn..sedih..uhuhu

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha... cik zaza kalo die x phm ko ketuk je lutuk die haha... aq ckp berlutut tue lutut lah haha xD

    okay aq mngarut keh keh

    ReplyDelete
  6. cik zaza, jgn sedih2..tu kite2 pnye special word meh...agak2 rindu nk gne perkataan tu ajak2 ah ktorg merepek skali..xD

    fara, daijyobu? o.o

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha apa aq mngarut kat ats tue wey??? xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. mne la aku tau. tu la sbb aku tnye ko ok ke x..LOL

    ReplyDelete